Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Days Like Today...

On days like today I am so grateful for my job and I think it's the best job in the entire world.

For those of you who don't know, I watch two adorable little girls (2 and 3 years old) during the day.
They. Are. Great.
(which I don't say enough)

I mean, come on! Look at those CURLS!
(I don't want to post pictures of their faces, because I never asked permission from the parents, so this will have to do!)

When I tell people that I'm nannying right now (I have a degree in teaching which is worthless in western New York right about now...BOO) they always give me the same look.  
The look that says, Oh. That's kinda sad...but at least you have an easy job!

Ha.

HaHaHa.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

oh, you're not joking? You think my job's easy?
Now don't get me wrong...some days are easy as deciding whether or not to have a piece of chocolate... (HA! Always eat the chocolate), or even easy as (as many people say, but I totally don't understand because baking them can be very difficult) pie. (Do they mean easy as EATING pie? because I totally get that)

Anyways! 
My job can be hard, stressful and frustrating like many other jobs.
I knew that I wanted to be a teacher and work with children since I was very young.
My place is in a classroom and I'm literally aching to be in one every day.  
But on days like today, simply being a nanny is good enough for me.

Nannies are not only child care providers, we're activity-directors, teachers, dressers, beauticians, nutritionists, chefs, hygienists, janitors, nurses, dramatic readers, performers, entertainers, costume-makers, arts-and-crafts instructors, dance partners, stroller and swing pushers, secretaries, historians, detectives, confidants, companions, counselors, coaches, bodyguards, tutors, cheerleaders, appreciative audiences, huggers, boo-boo kissers, potty trainers, learners, listeners, helpers, peace-keepers, hider and seekers, cuddlers, clowns, tickle-monsters, diaper changers, smile makers, shapers of the future!
(I didn't make most of that list up. You can find all that on a mug here!)


But I have to say, today was an easy day. 
And extremely rewarding.

Not only did the girls behave all day (except little disagreements, which is to be expected), but E (the 3 year old) said she loved me for the first time.  C (2) says it about a million times a day, but E never has before.  Let me tell you, when a child says they love you for the first time it absolutely melts your heart.  
I'm sure some of you are thinking, "what's the big deal? It's not even your kid." 
Trust me, coming from a girl who's constantly asking when is mommy coming home? I was thrilled.
Of course I didn't express my excitement out loud (I didn't want to scare her into never saying it again) but I may have been jumping up and down in my head...I know, I'm a loser. I've accepted it.
And to top it off, she sobbed when I left. Like, snot running down the face, sobs.
I feel like I accomplished the ultimate nanny goal today.

On days like today, I'm so happy I chose the path I did.

Ugh! 
I love my job!
Now only if I could get a raise...

Okay, I'm done rambling!
Thanks for reading.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment